Details of Grants Awarded
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2023
Major Project Grants
Scottish National Audit of periprosthetic femur fractures (SNAP Femur) - a nationwide study delivered by the Scottish Collaborative Orthopaedic Trainees Research Network - awarded £10,000
How do areas of work-life drive burnout in Irish Orthopaedic trainees and Consultant trainers - a cohort study - awarded £4,000
Hussain Elamin Ahmed
Defining current practice in the management of fractures of the proximal third humeral diaphysis in older adults - awarded £5,000
Elizabeth Mainwaring and Georgia ToothFeasibility study: Does a 3 month ACL risk reduction training program reduce the biomechanical risk of ACL rupture in university sports women? - awarded £5,000
Matthew ArnaoutiIMPACT Phase II - Modified Delphi Technique and Development of the IMPACT Integration Framework - awarded £4,000
Abigail ShawDelayed presentation and wound infection following hand trauma in South Africa: A qualitative study - awarded £5,000
Omar MusbahiSmart Drill: A novel device with an advanced sensor to make fracture fixation surgery safer, faster and less waste to improve patient outcomes - awarded £4,000
Research Prize Winner
- Rajapriyian Murugaiyan - £1,000
VR training for surgical education.
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2022
Major Project Grants
- Abdul-Rahman Gomaa - £3350
The Effect of Fibula Shortening on the Medial Clear Space and Lateral Translation of the Talus: A Cadaveric Study
- Helen Ingoe -£9000
Consensus on the outcomes measured in surgical effectiveness trials of acromioclavicular joint injuries and lateral clavicle fractures
- Abdus Burahee - £9592
Super-Charging Nerve Transfer (SETS) to auget recovery after seere ulnar neuropathy at the elbow
- Ben Dean - £9990
Improving Wrist Injury Pathways (I-WIP)
- Ryan Trickett - £4184
Patient Reported Outcomes Following Hand & Wrist Injuries (IRAS: 296316, REC: 22/PR/0720
- Sophie McDonald - £4970
Biomechanical assessment of the requirement for bone grafting for surgical fixation of tibial plateau (TP) fractures
- Muhamed Farhan-Alanie - £7815
Understanding patients' preferences and recovery priorities following treatment of a lower leg fracture: a discrete choice experiment
Research Prize Winner
- Kyung-Hoon Moon - £1,000
Virtual fracture clinic triage and selective use of MRI: A hybrid model for managing suspected scaphoid fractures.
- Kate Spacey - £4975
Mentorship of women of East Anglia Trauma Surgeons (WEATS) - A day of virtual formal mentorship training programme. A second session will be organised to provide a mentorship matching event and promote networking. A planned workshop
- Edward Jenner - £5000
Delays and Barriers to Health Seeking Behaviour Following an Open Fracture in Guyana
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2021
Major Project Grants
- Mohammed Khattak - £3500
Artificial intelligence in orthopaedics -using machine vision in acute paediatric trauma to streamline fracture management.
- James Masters - £4000
Outcomes and complications after hip fracture surgery in South Africa -understanding current outcomes and complications.
- Ian Pallister - £9000
Recovery in open and closed tibial shaft fracture innovative (RCI) physical rehabilitation - a feasibility study
- Mr Paterson-Byrne - £4500
Intra-operative use of augmented reality systems in trauma and orthopaedic surgery
- Muhammed Farhan-Alanie - £8000
The effect of oral anticoagulant use on surgical delay and mortality in hip fracture patients; a multicentre prospective.
- Paul Rodham - £9245
Fractures around the knee in older people.
Research Prize Winner
- Sandeep Deshmukh - £1,000
Surgical treatment of dorsally displaced distal radial fractures with a volar locking plate vs conventional percutaneous methods: minimum ten-year follow up of a randomised controlled trial.
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2020
Major Project Grants
- Juan E Berner
Quality of life after open extremity trauma (QUINTET): a prospective multi-centre international study
- Paul Baker
COMPOSE: characteristics, outcomes and management of periprosthetic fractures
- Benjamin Dean
Assessing variation in patient care pathways for suspected scaphoid fractures in the United Kingdom
- Professor Xavier Griffin
James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership - Major trauma
- James Hadfield
Establishing the feasibility of unified lower limb injury cohort data collection utilising an open fracture injury database pilot
- Adeel Ikram
Muscle phenotyping in frail older patients having hip surgery following fracture
- Justin Wormald
Ecological momentary computerised adaptive testing (EMCAT): a novel technique to measure the impact of hand trauma
- J Masters
- Muhammed Alanie
Feasibility evaluation for a trial of tourniquet use in lower limb fracture
- Christopher Bretherton
Rehabilitation after ankle fracture treatment (RAAFT): Facilitating safe weight bearing after ankle fracture
- Samantha Downie
Retrospective assessment of effect of gender on operative anatomy in surgical trainees
- Amar Rangan
FAMOUS-C19 (Fracture Assessment, Management and Outcomes in Upper Limb Study during Covid-19
- Mustafa Rashid
Investigating the impact on 1:1 scale 3D-printed anatomic models in pre-operative planning of complex periarticular fractures on surgeon perceptions
- Mohsen Raza
WITS, FFPOM, RIO
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2019
- Sandeep Deshmukh - £8801
Developing a core outcome set for hand fractures and joint injuries in adults.
- Jun Wei Lim - £9992
What pH level equates to impending cell death in progressive muscle ischaemia and why are some muscles more susceptible than others to ischaemia?
- Martin Siebachmeyer - £8868
The PEAS Study: Paediatric fractures: Artificial intelligence in diagnosis study
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2018
- Chris Bretherton - £5923
A James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership for Research Priorities in Major Trauma
- Nazzar Tellisi - £9250
Analysie of muscle damage, inflammatory and reparatory response following prolonged use of air tourniquet
- Milovan Cardona - £2594
Process optimisation of custom made titanium cranioplasty implants used following craniectomy
- Alexander Schade - £6893
Qualitative study exploring patients views of disability following an open tibia fracture in Malawi
- Simon Craxford - £4394.49
The creation and field testing of a new rib fracture specific patient reported outcome measure against a 'gold standard' of the EQ-5D-5L and SF-12
- Jonathan Lamb - £10,000
Periprosthetic femoral fracture around primary total hip replacements (THRs)
- Samantha Downie - £9551.93
Bony metastasis audit Scotland (BoMAS); proposal for a national database on survival and fracture risk in patients with metastatic bony lesion
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2017
Major Grant 2017
- Mr Alexander L Aquilina- ‘ Developing core outcomes for research on open lower limb fractures’
Minor Grants 2017 awards:
- Mr Tosan Okoro & Mr Kar Teoh - Biomechanical comparison of tibia-pro-fibula versus standard locking plate fixation of osteoporotic unstable bimalleolar ankle fracture’.
- Bonita Tsang - Quantifying and monitoring ankle swelling in patients awaiting surgery for ankle fracture fixation using a bioelectrical impedance analysis device.
- Henry Chandler - Insoles in the assessment of outcome in lower limb trauma - a Smart Move?
- Emma Blain - Understanding the biological response of ankle cartilage to traumatic injury.
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2016
- Simon Matthew Graham- Is human immunodeficiency virus an independent risk factor for surgical site infection in open tibia fractures managed by reamed locked nails? - awarded £9998.00
- Mr Ben Marson - Identification of biomarkers for osteomyelitis - awarded £5000
- Mr Gavin Walters - Characterising the growth factor profile of fracture haematoma in humans - awarded £4130.00
- Miss Samantha Downie - Prevalence of intimate partner violence (PIV) in orthopaedic trauma patients - awarded £817.97
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2015
- Dr I Pountos - Characterizing the phenotype of the highly proliferative mesenchymal stem cells fraction
- Mr M Panteli - Does Dkk-1 play an important role in the development of non-unions?
- Donald Hansom - The effects on nanopattern surface technology and targeted metabolic therapies on orthopaedic implant related infections
- Alex Trompeter - Do multiple eccentric screws in the LCP model increase the ability to generate fracture site compressive force, even if the first screws are not loose.
- Alex Trompeter - A biomechanial study of proposed alternative techniques to fiving transverse non-comminuted patella fractures
- Sara Dorman - Management of lateral condyle fractures in children, a protocol for the development of a core outcome set
- Mustafa Rashid - The development and validation of wearable technology for enhancing assessment of trauma rehabilitation outcomes.
- Katie Rollins & D J Bryson - Body composition, sarcopenia and myosteatosis and survival in polytraumatised patients
Pathway to Portfolio Grant (one off in 2015)
- Katie Young - Androgen precursor dehydroepiandrosterone pharmacokinetics in trauma (ADaPT)
AOUK&I Research Prize
- I Pountos - MSCs isolates result in a morphological and functional heterogeneous population with variable self-renewal and differentiation capacities. The aim of this study was to analyse whether MSC subpopulations have different mitogenic and osteogenic potential.
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2014
- Mr Michalis Panteli - Gene expression of MCSs harvester from bone marrow aspirate and fracture non-union tissue. A pilot study. - awarded £8623.00
- Dr Ippokratis Pountos - Phenotypic and genetic characteristics of a high proliferative fraction of mesenchymal stem cells - awarded £9347.00
- Katie Young - A dehydroepiandrosterone and pharmacokinetics in trauma study (ADaPT). This was awarded £10,000.
- Dr Tosan Okoro - Trauma assessment and follow-up with integration of modern communication devices (TRAFIC) - a pilot study. This was awarded £9657.77
- Lucy Silvester - Trauma rehabilitation. This was awarded £10,000
- Edward Spurrier - Clinical outcome following blast injury in the spine. This was awarded £1035.
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2013
- Ben Hickey - The effect of active toe movement (AToM) on venous thromboembolism and calf pump function in patients treated with lower limb cast immobilisation – awarded £10,000.
- Salam Ismael - Comparison fatigue burnout and coping mechanisms among orthopaedic and trauma nursing staff in three different environments: a multi-centre study – awarded £5,120.
- Tim Coughlin - Early outcomes and cost effectiveness of physiotherapy self directed therapy and advice sheets following conservatively managed distal radial fractures – awarded £9,000.
- Juan de Dios Robinson - A biomechanical analysis of fixation of Vancouver B1 fractures augmented with the 3.5mm attachment locking plate – awarded £9965.00.
- Major John Breeze - A numerical model to simulate the passage of explosively propelled fractures through the neck – awarded £5000. Download research report
- Ryan Trickett - The minimally clinically important difference in distal radial fracture – setting the standard – awarded £4,900. Download research report
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2012
- Eleanor Davidson - Cartilage damage following tibial plateau fractures – awarded £7,000. Download research report
- Dashan Angadi - Biomechanical analysis of femoral fracture fixation using expert adolescent lateral femoral system – awarded £8860.00
- Gareth Roberts - Computational engineering in the developmental of clinically relevant finate element analysis model of the proximal femur in fracture surgery – awarded £6,000
- Hiren Divecha - Biomechanical study of the effect of Pauwel's angle and method of internal fixation in undisplaced intra-capsular neck of femur fractures – awarded £5000.
- Sush Ramakrishna/Louise Nordin - Stability of different external fixator constructs – a comparison – awarded £1634.52
- Mustafa Rashid - Configuration of fracture fixation with a proximal femoral periprosthetic plate – how many screws, cortices and cables? A biomechanical study – awarded £5,000.
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2011
- Benjamin Ollivere - Directed early joint motion post ankle fracture fixation. A randomised controlled trial – awarded £9900.00
- T.J. Bonner - Lower limb injuries from under vehicle explosions – awarded £10,000.
- HB Tan - The influence of traumatic brain injury on the dynamics of growth factor release following trauma – awarded £10,000.
- Alex Trompeter - Correlation of open tibial fracture union rates with vascular injury" – awarded £10,000. Download research report
AOUK&I Research Grant Awards 2010
- Ryan Trickett - Measuring recovery in open lower limb fractures – the development of a novel patient centred recovery scale for lower limb trauma – awarded £8709.00. Download research report
- HB Tan - The study of biological fitness of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in elderly patients with proximal femoral fractures – awarded £10,000